Friday, November 26, 2010

Sock Monkey!

This has to be my largest knitting project ever! I am not sure when I will take on another project of this size but it sure was fun! And isn't he cute? I didn't have a pattern so I just made it up as I went along.

Nice sweater!
The sock monkey costume was requested by my husband after seeing the car commercial with the life sized sock monkey. As I have knitted smaller sock monkeys I figured "how hard could it be to make a life sized version?" Well, it wasn't hard but it was a lot of work.
Showing off his tail! It was the last thing I finished knitting.
The sock monkey was knitted using three Caron Pounders in Lace and a second brown yarn from a cone of lace weight (3/15) I had on hand. The off white was from Red Heart (1 skein) and a partial skein of red from my stash. 

I made the arms first. i knitted them two at a time from the closed mitten ends up the arm. I am planning to redo part of the hands to make the "hands" removable. It sounded good at the time but not super functional.


No comments: